Google offers multiple services and Google voice or rather Google voice phone number is one of them. This article focuses on how to get a free Google phone number, whether it is for personal or official business.
Before we get started, you must have a Google account and a regular phone number from any phone service of your choice, which could be a mobile phone or a landline, in order to use Google’s free phone number. Signing up for Google is easy and almost comes automatically, even when you get a new phone.
How to Sign Up For Google
Create google account with phone number;
- Go to Google sign-in page
- Since you don’t already have an account, choose the “create an account” option
- Enter your name
- Create your username and enter it in the “Username” field
- Create your password and hit “Next”, then “Confirm”
If you don’t have a phone number create Google Account Without Phone Number;
- Go to the Google sign in page
- Click create account
- Enter your full name
- Create an email with a “@gmail.com” at the end
- Create a password
- Enter your birthday
- Fill in the rest of the fields (gender, recovery email, or phone number). This is optional
- Click “next” to agree to the terms and conditions and.
- Hit “Confirm”
Google allows you to have multiple Gmail accounts with the same phone number (6, to be precise) if you want to. And with all, you don’t have to provide your personal phone number. However, for security reasons and to avoid getting locked out of your account, it is important to provide your number.
How To Get a Free Google Phone Number
Now that you have your Google account, you can go ahead and get your Google phone number free. To get a free Google phone number first set up Google Voice account;
- Go to Google Voice.
- Enter your email or username and password to sign in to your account.
- In the next window, you can find the number you would like to use. Search by cities, area codes, or just search by your area.
- Click the “select” button next to the number you want to choose when you find it.
- Follow the on-screen prompts from there to finish the setup.
Here are some of the basic things you require to be able to set up your Google voice number;
- Supporting Operating System. This could be Chrome OS, macOS, and Microsoft Windows.
- Supported web browsers such as Google Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and such.
How to Link Another Number to Your Google Voice Number
If you wish to link another phone number, here is an easy process;
- Go to Google voice on your browser
- Go to Settings (from the top right)
- Select “Account”
- Select “Linked Numbers”
- Click “Add New”
- Enter the phone number you want to add
- Wait for Google Voice to send you a verification number. If you are using a mobile number, click “Send Code” for Google Voice to send you the verification code via text. If you are adding a landline, chose “Verify by Phone”, then “Call”. Google Voice will then use the number to call and give you the code
- Enter the given code and hit “Verify”
Keep in Mind;
- You can add up to 6 numbers, but cannot link a number that is already linked to Google Voice
- Expect all the calls that come in your Google Voice Number to ring in your linked numbers too
- You can always remove a linked number by visiting the Google Voice page; go to settings, choose “accounts”, and hit “Remove” next to the linked number that you want to remove
- If you are using Chrome, you can keep the voice.google.com tab open just by right-clicking the tab and “Pin”
- You can always choose any 10-digit number but you wouldn’t find any 1-800 numbers. Google Voice does not support these.
How Much is Google Voice Call Rates
You can always get a Google phone number free. However, some charges may apply in other locations. While calls from the US and Canada are almost free, some specific calls cost $1 cent/ minute. For international calls or calls outside the US, check the listed rates on the site.
Using Google Voice Number is fast and easy. If you want to make a call, go to the Google Voice page to call from your browser online or simply go to Google Voice app on your phone. On the other hand, if someone calls your Google Voice Number, the call will be forwarded to your linked number(s).
There is no way for the caller to see your real personal number. This means you effectively are using two different numbers at the same time.
In addition to calls, you can use the Google Voice Number for voicemail transcription, texting, group messaging, and more.
The Bottom Line
If you are wondering whether you can get a Google phone number free, then the answer is yes. You can follow all the steps discussed in the article to set up your Google Phone Number and link it to any other number you want. All you need to have is a Google account, a working operating system, and a supported browser.
Discover Related Articles
- How To Get A Free US Virtual Phone Number
- How to Activate a Metropcs Phone for Free
- How To Get Your MetroPCS Bill Paid for Free
People Also Asked About Google Phone Number
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions on Google Voice Numbers;
Can I get a Google Phone Number without Linking a Forwarding Phone Number?
To get a Google Voice number, you must have a linked number to forward your calls and texts. However, if you don’t have to use your phone app, you can set WIFI as your calling method. Go to settings, choose “Calls”, go to “Make and Receive Calls”, and click on the “Prefer WIFI and Mobile Data”. This means you will be making and receiving your calls on Google Voice online from your browser.
Is Using Google Phone Number Free?
For the most part, it is completely free to use Google Phone Number. Most calls from the US and Canada are free except for some specific numbers. For international calls or calls outside the US and Canada, you can check out the listed rates on the app or from the Google Voice page online.
How does Google Voice Phone Works?
Once you set up your Google Phone Number, all calls and text messages will be coming in through your linked number through the Google voice number. Better still, if you don’t have linked phone numbers, you can set “WIFI and Mobile Data” as your preferred method and make your calls online from the browser.
Can I Use Google Voice as My Only Phone Number?
Even though the calls and text messages come in through your linked number, you would no longer need to give out your personal number or office number. If you don’t have or don’t want to link your personal number, you can also use your Google Voice number online as discussed above.
Is Google Voice Phone Number a Separate Number?
Google voice gives you a whole different number to make and receive calls, texts, and voicemails, domestically and internationally.
Can I Have Two Google Voice Numbers in One Phone?
The general rule of thumb is that you can only have one Google Voice number.