With so many cybercrimes, hacking, and scamming going on recently, installing a VPN extension on your browser is inevitable, if you want to be safe online.
The good news is that there are so many options for you in the market to choose from. A decent number of them, some of which we will discuss later in this article, work just fine. The only major downside is that these free VPN chrome extensions come with limitations.
Limitations of Free VPN
Before we get started, here are some limitations of free VPN;
- May not be as safe as they claim to be, hence compromising your security
- May have logs that track your online activities
- Can’t unblock Netflix and other streaming sites
- Some put a data limit
- Slow down your internet when they run
- Some come with annoying ads
- Some may sell your bandwidth
Even with all the above-mentioned limitations, if you make the right choice, then you can expect to enjoy some great perks and benefits.
Benefits of Free VPN Chrome Extensions
Some benefits you can expect to enjoy from free VPN extensions on your browser include:
- Privacy and security of your online activities and browsing history
- Safety and security of your identity
- Change your IP address to access just about any site and service you want to
- No cost
- Some services offer free VPN for life
- Some cover many locations
Best Free VPN For Chrome Extensions
Below, we have gathered 9 of the best free VPN extension you can try out now on chrome and any other of your favorite browser;
Browsec is a simple free VPN focused on providing users with basic security and privacy online. You can have it as a browser extension on your computer, or download it as an app on your smartphone. There is no app version for PCs and desktops.
It comes with decent speeds and multiple servers, allowing you to change your location at your convenience. Getting started only takes a few minutes. Just head over to their official site and install the extension on your browser.
The free version is for a lifetime but comes with limitations in terms of security, speeds, and the number of locations you can access. If you want to get these premium features, you can easily upgrade to any of their affordable premium package for;
- $6.99 a month for the monthly subscription
- $3.33 a month if you go for the annual subscription, and
- $2.99 a month if you go for the year subscription
- It’s fast, easy to use, and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- It’s available for Android and iOS devices and desktop browsers.
- It has servers in over 50 countries.
- Better privacy, no logs, and encryption.
- Unblock geographically restricted websites like Netflix, YouTube, etc.
- Bypass censorship and geo-restrictions.
- Secure your network traffic under public Wi-Fi hotspots or cellular data networks while connected to the internet at home or when traveling abroad.
- Use any application without worrying about being tracked by governments or hackers.
- High-speed internet access to watch Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, HBO Now, ESPN+, and other channels anywhere in the world.
- You must install software on your computer or smartphone to use a VPN service.
- Not always guarantees privacy protection
TunnelBear is another free credible VPN you can install for your chrome extension and an app for mobile phones. With this, you get an easy-to-setup service, decent speed, and dependable privacy.
You also get to log on to 5 different devices, the same as their premium subscription. The only significant difference is the number of locations and some features only accessible with the paid plan.
There are two major plans besides their free 500MB plan;
- The Unlimited Plan goes for $3.33 a month
- The Teams Plan, going for $5.75 a month
Tunnel Bear offers the following features:
- Free 500MB per month of data transfer
- Unlimited data transfer when you pay $4.99/mo or $49.99/year
- Secure servers in 20+ countries worldwide Canada, U.S., Australia, UK, Germany etc.
- Access to blocked websites like Netflix and Hulu from anywhere in the world
- Fast and reliable
- Free plan available with limited data
- Encryption: 256-bit AES
- No bandwidth or connection speed limits
- Kill Switch: including IPv6 leak protection, WebRTC blocking, and DNS leak protection or any other VPN kill switch
- Unlimited simultaneous connections on all devices, only five connections per account
- Easy-to-use desktop client with a simple interface
- It only protects one device at a time.
- Has some performance issues.
3. Touch VPN
Touch VPN is another one of the best Free VPN for chrome extensions, you can be sure to secure your data and online history. Whether you are using public Wi-Fi, don’t trust to reveal your identity on some sites, or want to unlock some geo-restricted sites and services, you can definitely count on Touch VPN.
The free lifetime plan comes with a 500MB daily data cap. If you need more, you can subscribe to their;
- One-year plan at $6.5/ month
- And monthly plan at $12.99/ month
- One-click to connect to a VPN proxy server
- No root access is needed
- No credit card required
- Unlimited time to use
- Encrypts internet traffic
- Unblock geographically restricted websites/services, for example,, Facebook, YouTube, Netflix, Skype, etc.
- Free and easy to use.
- No registration is required.
- It is a lightweight application that does not consume much of your device’s resources.
- It doesn’t require creating an account or credit card details to start using the service.
- Some websites may block this app because its IP address is not static.
- The free version of this application only allows five device connections simultaneously.
HotSpotShield, just as the name suggests, is focused on shielding your network, traffic, and browsing from internet hackers and online sniffers. There are two ways to get the free versions. First, head over to their website and choose the 7-day trial. This allows you to use it for free for seven days, with full perks of the paid subscription.
You can also just subscribe to their free tier plan. As expected, this doesn’t come with premium features and has some limitations, such as their 500MB daily data cap, and that you can only connect to one device at a time.
But, it has servers in the US and other major regions, allowing you to unlock multiple sites, offers some decent speeds, and is free for life. Their premium subscription goes for;
- $7.99 a month for the premium plan, and
- $11.99 a month for the Premium Family plan
- Protects you from malware and phishing
- Protects you from malicious websites
- Blocks ads and trackers to speed up page load times
- It also offers a free plan for basic protection
- The app is easy to use.
- It’s a great way to bypass the restrictions in your country, school or workplace.
- You can connect up to five devices on one account.
- It has a free trial period, so you can try it before buying it.
- The free version is limited, so you’ll have to get the paid version if you want to use all its features.
- This VPN is a bit more expensive than other VPN services.
One of the most transparent VPN services of its caliber. There are no tricks here, no hidden fees, and no credit card to get started. It allows you to get access to restricted sites and content in various areas, keeps your online activities anonymous, and hides your IP address.
The chrome extension is free and easy to set up. Just go on your browser, and type in “Cyberghost VPN free VPN chrome extension”. This search query will bring you straight to the page where you can add the extension to your chrome browser.
You get access to different servers in different locations with this plan, no data caps, and you can have it for life. But if you wish to upgrade to the premium version, you have four options to look at;
- $12.99 per month for the monthly plan
- $4.29 per month for the yearly plan
- $3.25 per month for the two-year plan
- And $2.29 per month for the three-year plan, plus a 3-month bonus
- Great speed and performance
- Reliable and secure
- Ad blocking feature
- Unlimited bandwidth and server switching
- Easy to use software
- A simple user interface
- Military-grade encryption
- Unlimited bandwidth and traffic
- Unlimited server switching
- Access to streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Channel 4 and 5 (UK) without any issues
- Apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android devices
- VPN kill switch (can be turned on or off)
- No free trial or money-back guarantee: There isn’t currently a free trial or money-back guarantee available with CyberGhost, although you can get it for free for 30 days.
VeePN offers a free VPN extension for all Chrome browser users, through a few steps and a fast process. To set it up, visit their official site and chose “add chrome extension”, wait for it to install, and activate it in your browser.
This gives you unlimited bandwidth and traffic in over 2500 servers in different countries around the globe. It also has quite impressive speeds and favorable privacy policies. Unless you want to access some premium features, the free extension works well for basic privacy needs.
It uses the trusted IKEv and OpenVPN protocols to mask your identity and remain anonymous throughout your online activities. If you decide to go premium, you can get the;
- $10.99 a month for the monthly plan
- $5.83 a month for the yearly plan
- And, $1.67 a month for the 5-year plan
VeePN’s features include:
- VeePN is a cloud-based virtual private server (VPS) hosting platform.
- It offers a variety of Linux-based VPS servers, including dedicated and semi-dedicated servers.
- Unlimited bandwidth and storage
- Dedicated IP addresses
- 24/7 support
- Easy Setup
- Affordable pricing
- Unlimited users, projects & storage
- Security features (SSL)
- Features like Task Management and Time Tracking
- It can be quite expensive
- No live chat option
7. SetUp VPN
Setup VPN free chrome extension comes with unlimited bandwidth and absolute security for your online safety. Whether you are using a public hotspot or school Wi-Fi, you can be sure to remain anonymous and hide your identity online throughout.
Also, the free extension is free for life and not only works with chrome, but other major browsers. To get started, you need to simply download the extension from their official site, install it, and add it to your browser.
It supports torrenting, has great speeds, offers at least 2000 servers, and gives you access to over 35 countries around the world. And while unfortunately, it doesn’t support Netflix, it does work with BBC iPlayer.
The premium plans are as follows;
- $4 weekly plan
- $6 monthly plan
- $16 3-month plan
- $28 6-month plan
- $35 yearly plan
- And, a $50 2-year plan
- Auto connect/disconnect when starting/stopping SetUp VPN.
- Auto start SetUp VPN on Windows startup.
- Auto-hide the SetUp VPN network icon in the notification area system tray.
- Private & secure: All your internet traffic is routed through a VPN, and nobody can see your data.
- Secure Wi-Fi: You can use public Wi-Fi hotspots safely and securely with a SetUp VPN.
- Data compression: SetUp VPN compresses the data you send over the internet, so you don’t need to worry about clogged bandwidth or slow speeds when streaming or downloading files.
- SetUpVPN does not control how much data is transferred through its servers which may lead to high data usage. If you’re not careful enough with the settings options available on it.
Amongst the many VPNs there are online, Zenmate is one of those that are quite popular. The chrome extension is completely free for all its users and comes with multiple benefits too. It enables you to hide your IP address and change location while protecting all your online activities from hackers and sniffers.
Other advantages are the unlimited bandwidth with no data caps and the fast connections. It is also pretty fast and easy to add to your browser. Just go to their site, download and install the extension, create an account, and you are set to go.
If you wish to go premium, you can choose any of their premium plans, including their;
- $10.99 monthly plan
- $4.49 per month yearly plan
- And, a $1.51 per month 3-year plan which also comes with a 3-month bonus
- ZenMate is a VPN service that has over 10 million users.
- It offers secure web browsing, private and anonymous torrenting, and protection from cyber-attacks.
- ZenMate’s VPN network is composed of over 700 servers in 30 countries.
- The service supports multiple platforms, including Windows, macOS, iOS, Android and Linux.
- Compatible with all devices
- Secure and private browsing
- No worries about malware or viruses
- Easy to use. Easy to install. No registration is required.
- No data or bandwidth limits.
- No free trial version is available.
- It has fewer servers worldwide than competitors such as TunnelBear and Hotspot Shield, so you may want to try them first if you’re not sure about ZenMate.
9. Hide me VPN
Hide.me is hassle-free, no registration, no email address, and no credit card is needed to get started. You only need to go through a few clicks to install it on your chrome browser and get started. And, you can get it on Windows, OSX, iOS, or Android.
- $9.95 for the first 60 days
- $6.66 per month for the 12-month plan and
- $4.16 per month for the 24-month plan
- Hide.me is a great VPN service, and it offers many features that make it a great choice for users.Fast, unlimited bandwidth
- Unblock websites and apps
- Protect Wi-Fi hotspot security
- No Logging Policy
- Unblock content – Hide.me allows users to access blocked websites from anywhere in the world.
- Unlimited bandwidth and data
- Zero-logs policy
- No personal information is required to sign up or use your account
- Fast speeds on all supported devices
- Secure WiFi Hotspot – Protect your WiFi hotspot security while connecting to unknown WiFi networks.
- Not the cheapest VPN service out there
- You can’t connect more than 2 devices simultaneously
As seen above, there are many free VPN chrome extensions you can install for your browser. We picked some of the best in this article, with great privacy policies, great speeds, and access to multiple locations.
Keep in mind that while they work fine in keeping your identity safe online, they also have options for premium subscriptions. There are also paid versions that come with premium features and experience.
Explore Related Articles
- Top 10 Free Sports Streaming Sites
- The 10 Best Netflix Alternatives But Free
- How Do I Get Sling TV Free Trial